We visited Ruedesheim the day after Christmas and then on Sunday we drove down to Trier and stayed the night. In Trier there are a ton of Roman ruins, which they enjoyed seeing, even if we couldn't get into some of them. It was colder than a witch's.....well, you know, so walking around outside was hard after while. Luckily there are heated churches and bakeries for kaffee und kuchen (coffee and cake) during the afternoon, which we delightedly sampled during the afternoon.
The next morning, although Wayne was feeling really sick, we drove the 20 minutes across the border to Luxembourg to see the American military cemetery and where Patton is buried. After that, we came straight home and Wayne went straight to bed, where he remained until they left on the 1st. Poor Wayne, on his first trip to Germany he stayed home sick for most of it.
Because of that, Mom and I just did little trips around here. The best was when we went to this old monestery, Kloster Eberbach, which isn't a monestary anymore. We had a great lunch there of Riesling soup, then took the walking tour of the monestery.
Mom was also starting to get sick and by the 31st, she had it. I went to a party and they were in bed by 8. I went to a couple's house down the street for a small party with fondue. Just before midnight we went downtown, where I went last year, to watch the crazy Germans light fireworks. This year, however, some of those crazies were my friends.
Although everyone could have done without the getting sick part, I'm glad I could have family here for Christmas.
Here are the pictures from Mom's visit and from Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment