Friday, October 31, 2008

Already In

Funny things I saw today:

  • A HUGE pile of steaming manure. No joke. It was the height, length, and width of two full-size SUVs in a field on the side of the road. I was on the phone with someone when I spotted it, so at least I have a witness to my laughter.
  • More crack than I care to see. Actually it was more like a half moon from a man squatting in his yard to pick up leaves or trash or something. I don't really know what he was picking up because I looked away as quickly as I could
I left work early today so I could meet our housing guy, Vincent, for the walk-through inspection of the apartment. So I hurried home, parked at the hotel, then walked over to the apartment. Once inside, he had me sign a few things, like an understanding that if there is damage to the apartment other than normal wear and tear, it's my responsibility to pay. Then I took the sheet and started walking around the rooms, looking for any damage already there. All in all it's in good shape, because the floors are new, as are the tiles and fixtures in the bathroom. I found a few things and was overly careful, because repairs are expensive here.

No one I've spoken to has had a good experience with Vincent and honestly, the first time I met him my first week here, he was condescending and only had bad things to say about the last few new people who had arrived looking for housing. The other day, while in his office, when I asked if the landlord would be there to meet when I walked through, he again condescendingly said that I shouldn't worry, because the landlord spoke perfect English. I told him it didn't matter, because I spoke fluent German. I wish I had a camera, because the look on his face was absolutely priceless. Other people I've spoken to said that they know when walking through apartments, Vincent would say things about them in German to the potential landlords and he was recently caught, when he didn't realize that someone understood German.

So during the walk through, I'm opening cabinets, blah, blah, blah. He's telling me how to open them, as if a hinge and a handle aren't big enough clues for me. He showed me which keys went in which lock, which way the teeth to the keys went, and how to open the door. Then, in the garage, he's telling me how I should drive in and park. Apparently, he doesn't work easily with women, especially strong women, and likes to be in charge of everyone, no matter their sex (this is what I'm told and I've confirmed it during the few times I've had to meet with him). So I'm figuring it was his way of showing dominance and intelligence.

Anyway, I met the landlord, whose last name I've forgotten. He's a doctor and his practice is literally next door, but I don't know if he lives there too. He's so tall that he has to duck going through doors. He seemed nice.

So now I have a house--I walked away with keys and garage door opener in hand.

I also got a call today telling me that my air shipment is in. I called when I got home from the apartment, but he wanted me to call back on Monday so I could schedule a day and time with the movers. Tuesday I have an appointment at BMW to get my German maps installed too.


Soon I won't be homeless and I'll have direction ;)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks very nice, roomy and clean---can't wait to see it. luv ya Mom

ctw said...

It looks great. It's not a barn !!

Anonymous said...

Place looks great. Next time you see Vincent, tell him how you feel.

Anonymous said...

great apartment. we need to visit you. enjoy your first days...